[rescue] LCD monitor diagnosis

Don Y dgy at DakotaCom.Net
Thu Apr 27 22:05:33 CDT 2006

wa2egp at att.net wrote:
> I agree but load cells break.  One pot hole and bang, no guage.  Maybe
> some optical arrangement, either an array that detects level by the fuel
> blocking or reflecting some led light or even measuring light absorption

You're still stuck with the issue of measuring in *one* spot in
the tank.  Unless you can shape the tank and position the sensor
so that it nominally measures the true depth of fuel regardless
of orientation (e.g., climbing/descending steadily for a full hour
in addition to short term perturbations), you'll still have
inaccuracies.

Detroit's solution would probably be to have the gage indicate
empty when you still had a usable gallon left therein -- so you
couldn't complain that you ran out of gas while the tank
still indicated "not empty".

<shrug>

For your own personal car, I think most folks "learn" how far
they can push their luck.  The zinger comes when you rent a car
or borrow a friend's vehicle and are never sure of where you
stand...