[rescue] LCD monitor diagnosis

Don Y dgy at DakotaCom.Net
Thu Apr 27 19:40:29 CDT 2006

wa2egp at att.net wrote:
>> Most newer cars have this built in.  My '05 Pathfinder does this exact
>> thing.  You can get a real-time MGP, and the estimated number of miles
>> left until you're out of gas.  It's very handy, especially since I travel
>> a lot.
>
> But they probably still have that dumbass engine light. They could put
> a small LCD display and have it read and translate the codes.  No,
> I have to buy an external device, grrr.

I drive an older car so I'm unsure as to what newer ECM's do
to signal errors.  In my car, I ground the TEST input on the ACLC
connector and the check engine produces a "blink code" that
correlates with any error codes stored by the ECM.  Just count
the flashes...

Of course, you need a shop manual (or equivalent) to know what
the error codes mean (but those are relatively inexpensive)