[rescue] LCD monitor diagnosis

Don Y dgy at DakotaCom.Net
Thu Apr 27 16:03:30 CDT 2006

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 01:05:47PM -0700, Don Y wrote:
>> Yup.  It's not like tracking fuel consumption in an aircraft, etc.
>
> Exactly. It's to quote the song, "the way it is". :-)
>
>> Pressurize the tank.  Note the difference in pressure over time...
>
> Okay, another way of doing it. Does the tank need to be vented? How do
> you seal the intake pipe?

Most tanks are currently pressurized.  There are LOTS of problems
with my tongue-in-cheek suggestion (e.g., what happens when you
dent the tank or otherwise change its effective volume).  I just
through it out as a similar "thought experiment"...

>> You'd be surprised at how cheap things get when you are talking
>> BIG volume.  We used to just say we were buying *plastic*
>> (regardless of the functionality of the Si inside!)
>
> Most people would, I would not. I've speced out building handheld gaming
> devices (that's a whole 'nother thread) in quantities of 1,2,5 and 10 million.

Exactly.  All you worry about is *yields* and *shipping weight*.
:-/

>> Yup.  Many "design choices" are based on non-technical issues.
>> Medical devices being a prime example (in which litigation
>> and exposure to it are bigger issues than the technological ones).
>
> Funny I'm familre with that two. Back in the 'states (came here 9 years
> ago), I ran (as contract help) a scanning and electronic publishing center
> for a major drug company. I designed and wrote the software too. We were
> "publishing" if you wish to call it that, New Drug Applications to the
> FDA and other countries.
>
> The irony of it is that when I came here no one was interested, although
> the world's largest maker of genric drugs is headquartered in Jerusalem.
>
> As late as 2000 when I last looked, they will still doing things on
> paper and had no desire or plan to change.

There is a LOT of inertia in the pharmaceutical industry.
Just adopting the concept of electronic signatures has been
a huge undertaking.  Yet, with all the paperwork required
there, you would think they would be the FIRST industry
to move in this direction (tracking raw materials, granulation
process, traceability of measurement standards, etc.).

I wonder how well Fette's (?) CIP tablet press was received...
talk about "pushing the envelope" in terms of getting a VERY
traditional industry to look into a new approach...  :-/
(or was it Killian?)

>> It's just a matter of doing the cost/risk/benefit analysis and
>> deciding how *much* you'll gain in the wash.  Any *claim*
>> (i.e. assertion) you make can just as easily become a liability
>> as an asset.
>
> That's for sure.

Like shoveling snow off your sidewalk (for those folks who
have Winters)... if you *do* it, then you assume liability
for folks who walk on that sidewalk, slip and hurt themselves.
If you *don't* do it, you can argue that THEY knew the
sidewalk was NOT clear so *they* assume the responsibility
for their consequent injuries... (well, *sort* of...)

*Claim* that your gas tank sensor is 99.73% accurate and
expose yourself to liability issues when it *isn't*
(possibly because something BROKE!)