[rescue] LCD monitor diagnosis

Mike F lists at ibrew.net
Thu Apr 27 14:12:51 CDT 2006

Scott Newell wrote:
> At 11:57 AM 4/27/2006 , Phil Stracchino wrote:
>
>> For that matter, I've long thought it's time we had cars with ACCURATE
>> fuel guages.  And it's easy to do:  Instead of mounting the tank on dumb
>> bolts with a float and sender in the tank, chuck the sender and hang the
>> tank on four loadcells.  Monitor the output from the load cells, say,
>>

> Oh my.  Do you really want to pay for something like this?  It's not going
> to be cheap.
>
> With all the mechanical binding from the filler pipe, fuel lines, and the
> fuel pump electrical connector, the vibration from the  fuel pump and the
> road, I don't know that it would be significantly more accurate than a
> linearized float sensor.

I wonder if something like this is even feasible; the big problem to
overcome in a weight-based system is g-force. All that fuel sloshing
around is bound to totally confuse the sensors. Formula 1 and Champ Cars
(and others I'm sure), for all their technology, still rely on fuel flow
to calculate gas mileage. It seems to work well, because it's rare for
them to run out of gas, though they always push it.

- Mike