[rescue] Sun array rescue

Robert Brooke Gravitt gravitt at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 12:31:29 CDT 2006

On Apr 26, 2006, at 1:01 PM, Patrick Finnegan wrote:

> It's an SSA100 (or SSA1xx) aka Sun Storage Array.
>
> Slow things, using Sun's 250(?)Mbps "fiberchannel" implementation.
>
> You should be able to use 9GB or maybe even 18GB 1" SCA drives in it
> (due to heating/power draw, you may not be able to populate all of the
> slots if you do).
>
> Solaris of course has support (well, older versions do at least,
> unsure
> about newer ones), and Linux 2.2.x had support (which didn't get
> brought forward to 2.4)
>
> Basically, it presents itself as a disk controller as 30 disks on
> it to
> the host, which does software raid across the disks.

I have 2 of these beasts. I had to run another circuit to the storage
arrays, as bringing them both up along with the attached SS1000 kept
tripping the breaker :)  (Of course, there is a fridge and a freezer
downstairs and a 19" rack full of machines, which were originally all
on the same circuit.)

I powered them off long ago, and have the SS1000 running on its
internal 1G drive. I believe I have about 30-40 1GB SCA drives
sitting inside the trays, idle, if anyone needs an extra one.

The arrays were cool sounding on startup, each bank of ten came up
individually. If I had the time & drives, I'd put some 9GB drives in
there and see if I could mount & stripe it under a GNU/Linux distro.

--Brooke