[rescue] LCD monitor diagnosis

Bryan Gurney arb_npx42 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 24 15:49:41 CDT 2006

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 16:40:23 -0400, Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net> wrote:

> The problem eventually turned out to be a bad inverter.  Fortunately, I
> was able to locate a replacement, and the monitor is now working.
> Haven't decided where to use it yet....

Good to hear; I have a new 20" LCD coming in soon, and I'm crossing my fingers, hoping for no incoming issues at all (considering the dreaded "dead pixel policy" that most places have, including the one I ordered this from).

Completely unrelated, but I posted it earlier: I found out why my Sparcstation 5 was stalling when booting Debian headless.  I removed the null modem cable from serial A entirely (instead of just leaving the SS5 end plugged in and the DB9 side dangling), and it booted up happily, shut down happily, and even provided a login prompt when I connected the serial cable after it powered on.  Now I can finally kick this machine around and put it to good use!