[rescue] What is a RIMM?

Bryan Gurney arb_npx42 at comcast.net
Sat Apr 22 19:27:16 CDT 2006

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 14:24:53 -0400, Mike Nicewonger <twmaster at twmaster.com> wrote:

> On Apr 22, 2006, at 2:22 PM, Shirker wrote:
>
> Yup. I sold a bunch of 128MB RIMMs last year on FeeBay. Brought silly
> high money IMHO.

Heh, I remember when it first came out, 128 MB of Rambus was $1000, and then you had to get it in pairs.  I may be off by a bit, but not very far.

I remember those days like it was yesterday; back when the people who jumped on the Rambus bandwagon got burned by the steep price, as well as the 820 chipset problems (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2000/07/19/caminogate_failure_finally_explained/).  That was also a bit after the Athlon was first released; those who were stuck in the Intel camp held back on their 440BX boards and had to wait for the 815 to be released.  It took almost a year for Intel to finally drop the Rambus charade and release some PC133 boards.

Now Rambus has been relegated to specialty applications (among them the PS2), and their dreams of becoming the dominant PC memory architecture (along with their dreams of reaping the huge royalties they were charging and collecting) went up in smoke as DDR became the standard.