[rescue] Ultra AXe question

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Wed Apr 19 14:47:39 CDT 2006

" From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
"
" As I am getting various systems ready to be "disposed of" at TCF this
" weekend, I came across my old AXe-based system. For those unfamiliar,
" it is an ATX motherboard with an UltraSPARC IIi CPU running at 300 MHz
" w/256K cache. It takes regular Ultra 5/10 RAM, IDE drives, and has a
" built-in 4 Meg video card, good enough for 1024x768 @ 24 bit color.

another sparc system i've lusted after...

shouldn't the vid be capable of 1152x900 [or 1152x870] @24bpp?  or
even 1600x1200 at 16?

" Anyway, anyone have ideas on what O/S to run on this system so it seems
" a bit, uhm, snappier? It has 512 Meg RAM (should be reasonable), though
" I suspect the 20 Gig HD installed is a bit slow...

me being lazy, i'd install s8 with openwin.  but then, i'm running
s8/ow on a u1/170...

the ide -is- miserable, the same chip as in the u5/u10.

" I had thought to put it in a 1U "appliance" case, but I'll have to
" increase the performance a bit before I can justify buying the case ;^)

i would put mine - if i ever get one - in a dell small desktop case,
from about the gx100 era.  offhand it's the smallest case i know of
that'll take an atx, and the 85w ps should -just- be enough.

" Oh, and I will have some Ultra 1E, Ultra 2, Ultra 5 (and maybe an Ultra
" 10) and Ultra 30 systems for sale at TCF, anyone going interested in a
" machine or two? After I sort them out I'll share a list with anyone
" interested before the weekend. I'll ship the system if you are
" interested, but it will be at your expense.

<sigh> if only...

not that i can afford it just now, but what would you want for a u30?
--
Internet Rambler        |      je suis Marxiste - tendent Groucho      |