[rescue] Ultra AXe question

Michael-John Turner mj at turner.org.za
Wed Apr 19 01:31:38 CDT 2006

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 06:45:18PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Anyway, anyone have ideas on what O/S to run on this system so it seems a
> bit, uhm, snappier? It has 512 Meg RAM (should be reasonable), though I
> suspect the 20 Gig HD installed is a bit slow...

I've had good results with NetBSD on my Ultra 5 (360Mhz, 512MiB) - it's
currently running -current, but the 3.0 betas also worked well. The console
is accelerated with the onboard ATI RagePro, as is XFree86, and it makes a
pretty useful workstation. The onboard IDE controller is pretty poor - I'd
recommend getting a Symbios 875-based card (any one will do), which is
supported by OpenBoot (ie you can boot from it).

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://weblogs.turner.org.za/mj/
mj at turner.org.za    | Open Source in WC ZA - http://www.clug.org.za/