[rescue] your next Solaris machine ??? (Sol/x86 booting on iMac)

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Sat Apr 15 21:04:44 CDT 2006

On Saturday 15 April 2006 21:53, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-04-15 at 21:35, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> > Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> > > And how much would that 8-core, 8MB cache per core CPU cost, even
> > > at G5 Mac volumes?  BTW I doubt the current OSX kernel can even
> > > scale to 4 CPUs much less 8.
> >
> > You can get a POWER5-based system for rougly five grand.
>
> Can you give me a link?  Preferably to something rackable.

Actually, $3400.  Dual will cost you $4200..

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/p/hardware/entry/505/browse.html

I've been watching the prices for a while, hoping that some POWER5 stuff
might show up on the used market.

> > > I am afraid my response will turn this thread into a flamefest,
> > > but the fact is that the existing POWER stuff didn't make it into
> > > the G5, so why would you expect any different on a "G6" ?  Look
> > > at the specs on even the earlier p-series machines
> > > (20GBytes/second memory bandwidth on STREAM), then compare with
> > > what Apple was able to ship.
> >
> > A bunch of POWER4 features made it into the G5.
>
> Would like to hear more... perhaps you have a link on this as well?

For the most part, (the original) G5 is a single core, smaller process,
higher MHz POWER4.  Google for "POWER4" and "G5", and you'll find lots
of stuff describing the relationship.

Pat