[rescue] your next Solaris machine ??? (Sol/x86 booting on iMac)

Skeezics Boondoggle skeezics at q7.com
Fri Apr 14 23:19:18 CDT 2006

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006, Andrew Weiss wrote:

> [...] The new POWER
> 6 is supposed to be pretty light on power use and scale to 6 Ghz.
>
> The latest POWER5's have like 8 cores on die and like 8MB of cache on
> die per processor.  [...]

...which is exactly why Apple's move to Intel couldn't have been more
stupid.  As the "full-blown" POWER architecture evolves and scales, you
know that key improvements would make their way into PowerPC.  And the use
of PPC in gaming platforms means more innovation and drive to improve
performance in graphics - and since the birth and rise of the "engineering
workstation" class in the early 80's, the demand for better/faster
graphics have driven a lot of the most interesting designs...

And what sucks is that Motorola/Freescale's "G5" (what did they end up
calling it, the 85xx series?) could have been a nice desktop chip, but
Jobs' shortsightedness and impatience drove Moto to divert that line into
embedded applications - but there was a quote from Moto that said
(roughly) "Apple is just one customer, and we have other markets for the
PPC.  But we'll be back with a 'G6'..."  With IBM and Freescale both
working on the PPC architecture, Apple _could_ have helped ensure that a
consumer market for general-purpose desktops using high-end PPC chips
existed, and I think they'd have benefitted.

But, apparently Jobs wants Apple to be a box shifter, a Dell clone with
cachet, and that's their choice.  It just means that cool old "historical"
machines like the G5 will end up in my collection for pennies on the
dollar sooner, rather than later.

It is pretty funny seeing Solaris on a Mac, though... Now, if it were
running OpenStep on top of Solaris with an Intel chip inside and an Apple
logo on the outside...

-- Chris