[rescue] Connecting to serial ports...

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Apr 14 18:11:32 CDT 2006

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006, Robert Brooke Gravitt wrote:

> I used to have a pre-compiled binary of a serial port comm tool  (the
> name escapes me) that Dave McGuire gave me, for connecting to serial
> ports from a Mac OS X box, through a USB/serial adapter.

Is it a GUI tool or a command-line widget?  I used minicom (a
command-like widget that pretends to be Telix) for a long time before I
found C-Kermit.  C-Kermit isn't as friendly, initially, but it seems to work
a lot better, and it Just Works under OSX.

You can get it here:

   ftp://kermit.columbia.edu/kermit/archives/cku211.tar.gz

Caveats:

   1) The tarball explodes into $PWD.
   2) There's no install-rule in the Makefile
   3) The resulting binary is called "wermit" for reasons that were
      probably funny to someone a long time ago, but frustrate everyone
      else.

> I'm using a Keyspan serial adapter.

If you're not running the 2.x drivers, upgrade.  You'll be in for a real
treat, as it'll now have a sane device name instead of something like
/dev/tty.USA209780984750987340958734-wsu4uifnm.windmill+elventy3.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Humans that lose the capacity to think become
Elgin, TX          (    creatures whose existence has no value."