[rescue] your next Solaris machine ??? (Sol/x86 booting on iMac)

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Apr 14 04:47:49 CDT 2006

Michael Parson <mparson at bl.org> wrote:
[...]
> Ah, for a second, I had my hopes up for a modern Solaris/PPC. Not sure
> why, exactly. =)

I imagine that Apple have now ceased production of PPC machines and are now
selling off old stock. Of the top of my head, I can't think of anybody else
who is making PPC workstations.

It seems a bit daft to create a new operating system for a machine that is
not being made any more. Supporting all those old architectures is dragging
Debian down, I note. There's a reason why Ubuntu can release more often when
it's supporting PPC and two x86 flavours compared to 12 architectures, one
of which won't even fit in my house.

It would be rather cute to see Solaris/PPC, but realistically, I'd install
it on a Firewire disk on my Mac, play with it for a few hours, then stuff it
back into the cupboard never to be looked at again. I've got a real SPARC
box knocking around for Solaris.

--
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so.
				 - Bertrand Russell