[rescue] Sun 540-5014 (AKA X7288A) versus Teac DV-28E

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Apr 11 16:59:52 CDT 2006

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 04:33:58PM -0400, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> i was under the impression this was the doing of openboot3, introduced
> with the ultra1.  supposedly it issues the cd 'mode select' command to
> switch to 512-byte blocks before trying to 'boot cdrom'.

No. It came in to existance about the time the SLC became the ELC. Or
in more easily understood terms, if the ROMs allowed the "boot cdrom"
command, then it would issue the mode select command.

The command is part of the SCSI-II command set, but it was implemented
in many SCSI-I drives. All Toshiba drives from the 3201 on, Sony drives
(which includes the early Apple 300's (but not the Matshusita 300+),
Plextor and others. AFIK, it was NEVER implemented in any NEC SCSI drives.

As for IDE, I don't know when it became available, I don't think it is
supported by the ATAPI command set, but I may be wrong.

Either way, the Solaris 10 boot program does not care. It works fine with
a drive in either 512 byte or 2048 byte block mode. I know the Solaris
7 boot program complains and fails, but by that time I had a 512 byte
block CD-ROM SCSI drive, which I still have and it may still work
(thanks, Mark), so I never checked Solaris 8 or 9.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838