[rescue] Sun 540-5014 (AKA X7288A) versus Teac DV-28E

Dave K davek08054 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 14:46:55 CDT 2006

On 4/11/06, Geoffrey S. Mendelson <gsm at mendelson.com> wrote:

Thanks for answering!

> 1. Will the computers in question boot from a USB drive? You can buy a USB
>    DVD drive for very little money these days.

A lot of these are used for testing of customer configurations, that
might not be an acceptable difference.

> 2. It may depend upon which version of Solaris you wish to boot. I know
that
>    Solaris 10 will boot on almost any drive. I also know that Solaris 7
>    requires a 512 byte block drive. I don't know in between.

Sorry, I should have said.  The reason for this is to allow
installation of Solaris 10.  None of these systems have ever had
anything earlier than Solaris 8 on them.

And I also should have been clear that by "older" I'm only going back
so far as Sunfire/Netra V100 and V120 boxes.  Not really old for this
list....

--
Dave K
Unix Systems & Network Administrator