[rescue] Sun 540-5014 (AKA X7288A) versus Teac DV-28E

Dave K davek08054 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 14:29:06 CDT 2006

$WORK is looking to upgrade a bunch of older systems from CD-ROM to
DVD-ROM drives.  All of these would use the Sun 540-5014 (AKA X7288A)
drive.  Of course genuine Sun drives are absurdly expensive.

The drives are marked as Teac 28E, which is also used in some laptops,
and far cheaper.

One notable difference is that the Sun version includes bracket
"370-6204", but I believe we could steal those of the CD-ROMS we'd be
pulling out.

Now for the hard question: Does Sun have special firmware put into the
Teac drives that would prevent us from using non-Sun versions?

--
Dave K
Unix Systems & Network Administrator