[rescue] Odd SBUS cards - anyone want?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Apr 10 10:11:43 CDT 2006

Mon, 10 Apr 2006 @ 00:13 -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo said:

> Probably you don't have an optimized build of SSH for that architecture
> either.

NetBSD, at least 1.x, was built for the V6 CPU, which lacks floating
point hardware.

You can get a big speed boost by doing a world build with your CPU flags
set for V7 architecture.

Of course, if you are on even newer SPARC based systems, set your flags
accordingly.

If you don't have time for a world build, then just hit the foundations that
will give you the most speed boost, especially things like ssh.

I don't quite understand why someone doesn't build more SPARC installs
for NetBSD, optmized for various machines.

> If you have enough RAM it will be OK - I would say 96MB at a minimum.
> Increase the shared buffers to reduce disk IO.

Yes. mysqld will eat about 32MB on an SS5 just sitting idle.

Also, consider looking at NetBSD 2.x or 3.x, as they gain a little speed over
1.x, even on older machines.

That's one thing I've liked about NetBSD: each release has been like a
hardware upgrade for my older machines.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["I wish life was not so short. Languages
take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about." - J.