[rescue] FS (historical?) PPro 180 or 200, with VRM

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Sat Apr 8 16:27:06 CDT 2006

Kevin Loch wrote:
> For specific chipsets, maybe.  I cant't think of any algorythmic
> reason.  I have recently used a 12 drive raid5 on a hightpoint
> controller and the performance was roughly equal to 12x what a single
> drive did.
>
> I think highpoint controllers use the main cpu for raid calculations
> so it might have benefited from the dual 3.4GHz xeons.

For specific chipsets, and specific busses.

If you have 12 drives on a single U320 SCSI chain you're not gonna see
much of a speed increase over a 6 or 7 drive RAID5 on another U320 SCSI
chain - I think 6 drives is the "sweet spot" someone else referred to.

A 3ware 9550SX-4LP (4-port SATA II hardware RAID card) with some port
multipliers (http://www.rancho.com/Products.aspx?ID=69) will be a
completely different case ;)

Plus, there's the CPU on the RAID card... a 100MHz i960 (used in older
RAID cards) is gonna max out faster than the Xscale or PowerPC CPUs used
in modern RAID cards...

BTW the HighPoint controllers are "fakeraid"... the host CPU does the
RAID calculations.  The card might have a hardware XOR engine, but it's
still up to the driver to make use of it <rolls eyes>.  IMO the only
SATA RAID controllers worth dealing with are from 3ware and LSI Logic.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at tux.obix.com