[rescue] FS (historical?) PPro 180 or 200, with VRM

Devin L. Ganger devin at thecabal.org
Fri Apr 7 22:37:21 CDT 2006

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:

(2x RAID 5)

> Why not 1 12 drive RAID 5 ?

Performance and the ability to survive more than a single drive failure.

When I went through Veritas Volume Manager training, I remember a
discussion about optimal sizing for RAID5 arrays. I sadly don't recall
the specifics, but apparently there was a sweet spot for the # of
drives; beyond that point, performance fell off pretty steeply. The
instructor was saying that this was a general characteristic of every
hardware RAID setup he'd looked at.

Anyone know what he might have been talking about?

--
Devin L. Ganger <devin at thecabal.org>
Homepage: http://www.thecabal.org/~devin/