[rescue] FS (historical?) PPro 180 or 200, with VRM

Mike Nicewonger twmaster at twmaster.com
Fri Apr 7 18:56:08 CDT 2006

On Apr 7, 2006, at 7:50 PM, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 19:42, Mike Nicewonger wrote:
>> On Apr 7, 2006, at 7:32 PM, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
>>>
>>> also have a dual ppro Micronics board... but that won't run the
>>> overdrive cpus...  never tried the 1M cache ppros...
>>
>> The Micronics board I have (W6LI) runs the PPro OD CPUs just fine.
>> Albeit it does not properly report the CPU speed in the BIOS output
>> at boot. It does not, as you report, run the 1M cache CPUs.
>
> hmpf... I seem to recall trying the OD333s in mine (a W6LI), and
> I would get no post...  in my 440FX Intel board they worked fine...
> and I believe I checked to make sure I had the latest BIOS...
> I had not tested the 1M cache CPUs in the Micronics... that's the
> one config I hadn't tried...

Doh. Need to learn how to read. "never tried"

I am looking at the machine right now. It was my main desktop box for
more than a year running Penguin Power. It would boot right now if I
asked it to. Adaptec 2940UW controller, ~256MB memory, Matrox (I
think) graphics. Antec deskside server class case with 4 trillion fans.

The only goofy thing it does is not boot quickly (as in take 20+ mins
to POST) if I did not shut it down correctly somehow. Spooky.

--
Mike N

Genius may have it's limits but stupidity knows no bounds.