[rescue] Odd SBUS cards - anyone want?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Apr 4 18:25:26 CDT 2006

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

>> Ah.  I guess it could be interpreted that way.  I'd be a fool to say
>> a 64-but SMP machine that can take 2GB of memory isn't a "real
>> computer", though--unless, of course, it were one of those silly
>> x86_64 systems that still wakes up in DOS-compatible mode.
>
> As long as you don't need memory write speed above 200MByte/s ...
> (PC100 is about 500MByte/s).

That still doesn't make IA32/x86_64 systems "real computers".  It makes
them very fast toys with tons of backwards compatibility hacks, limited
real diagnostics, and horribly integrated hardware.  They'll get the job
done in the cheapest, kludgiest way possible--the computing equivalent
of a gardener dumping his kitchen garbage on your lawn when you asked
him to fertilize it.

> Thus Perl, TCL, or any other interpreted language will blow the cache
> and as a result the machine will slow to a crawl due to the slow
> memory subsystem.

Perl runs fine on my U2.  Perhaps if you need that sort of speed, you
should use a compiled programming language.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )   "Let me hear you make decisions
Elgin, TX          (     without your television."