[rescue] New scores - Sun DLT autoloader and IBM SP frame

Bryan Gurney arb_npx42 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 3 20:17:01 CDT 2006

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 18:13:17 -0400, Patrick Finnegan <pat at computer-refuge.org> wrote:

> Does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade the drive in the Sun DLT
> autoloader? I tried swapping in a DLT7000 drive, but it seems like the
> library doesn't quite like it, even though the cables seem to attach
> properly to the drive.

Unfortunately, most autoloaders are dependent on firmware to handle a specific drive in some way (proper loading velocity for cartridges, for instance).  What kind of problems is it exhibiting?

There's also a possibility that you'd be able to connect the drive with one SCSI cable and the autoloader with another SCSI cable and use it that way.  IIRC most of the time all that the autoloader does is follow commands from the backup software to move a casette to and from the drive.