[rescue] A5000, 22x9.1GB, QLogic QLA2100F controller, asking $550

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 12:50:07 CST 2006

On 3/31/06, Ethan O'Toole <ethan at 757tech.net> wrote:
> I just noticed that 73GB SCA disks are like $40 on pricewatch now... quite
> the shock, I'm going to get some for my Compaq DL360s

The problem with these disks and Suns is the firmware, though.  We
tried 36GB and 73GB SCSI disks out of Compaq gear (tons of 36GB going
to surplus) in the lab at the last job.  Within a week or so of use
(depending on how much writing to the disk went on), those disks
appeared to "fail".  I'm sure that had we slapped them back into a pc
and reformatted them, they'd have been fine.

Which prompts the question--anyone know of a reliable way to lay down
firmware from a matching manufacture/model of disk that's "Sun"
vintage to one with non-Sun firmware?  I'm wondering if one of those
disk exerciser/recovery/duplicator stations that Corpsys on eBay sells
would do the trick?

=Nadine=