[rescue] A5000, 22x9.1GB, QLogic QLA2100F controller, asking $550

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Apr 1 00:27:00 CST 2006

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, Bill Bradford wrote:

> NetApp and EMC are now touting SATA as cheaper, slower alternatives to
> FC on their storage systems, for people that dont need FC performance.

Interesting, that, given that SATA-1 has more raw bandwidth than 1Gb/s
FC and SATA-2 has more raw bandwidth than 2Gb/s.  Seems that if they'd
just put a little more beef on the drive casings to dissipate heat
better and spun the motors up to 15krpm, they'd perform just as well as
FC.

In a system like a NetApp or EMC, where the computers don't talk to the
discs directly anyway, why should it matter what sort of connectivity
the disks use to talk to the storage subsystem.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )   "Let me hear you make decisions
Elgin, TX          (     without your television."