[rescue] was: ham gear, now altec speakers!

Mark G. Thomas Mark at Misty.com
Mon Nov 28 11:44:06 CST 2005

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 12:03:28PM -0500, Ethan O'Toole wrote:
> A friend referred me to Altec speakers, called Voice of the Theater. Said
> they would be a good match for me, when I inquired about hifi speakers for
> home.
>
> A7-500 and A7 are the models. If anyone comes across any that are
> for sale, I'm sort of looking :-) There were tons of them made, and I
> would imagine they may be found around places where computer and radio
> geeks would look.
>
> I'm not exactly in the hotbed of geek activity here in Southeastern
> Virginia, but I do my part.

As I recall these are high-efficiency horn-loaded speakers, maybe vaguely
a little like Klipsch LaScalas that I used to have.  These are especially
well suited for theatrical applications where a lot of efficiency and
frequency range is beneficial, but flat response and well balanced sound
close to the speakers is less of a priority.

They are well suited for theatrical applications, but may be disappointing
in a typical living room -- unless your room is extremely large and your
listening spot relatively far from the speakers.

If you like the "horn" sound, my suggestion is to consider some
smaller more home-oriented (not LaScalas) Klipsch speakers.  Many hi-fi
outfits have listening rooms with a wide variety of speakers to compare.

Mark

--
Mark G. Thomas (Mark at Misty.com)
voice: 215-591-3695