[rescue] Cisco 1601 and CSU/DSU

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Sat Nov 26 16:43:04 CST 2005

I was given a Cisco 1601 router a little while ago. I was kinda excited
to have a Cisco at home to experiment with, but it looks like that's all
I can do with it. It comes with a built-in serial port and one ethernet
port. It has an "expansion slot" but it only takes certain types of
cards and a second ethernet is *not* one of them (nor is DSL).

Anyone interested in buying this (the Cisco, the cable and the CSU/DSU)
from me, or trading for something? "Something" here could be IDE or SCSI
disk drives, HP 9000 memory, or, I suppose, a Cisco with two ethernet ports.

I have power adapters for both of these. The router boots up and runs
fine. I've done a write erase and loaded a new config. Ethernet works,
and I can tftp the config. The CSU/DSU (Paradyne Acculink 3162) appears
to be a decent unit with two serial ports, an ethernet port (for snmp
management) and a console port. I have not tested it beyond applying
power and seeing that the lights do everything that the manual says they
should. (Manual is available online:
http://www.paradyne.com/support/manuals/docs/3162-A2-GB20-40.pdf)

Steve