[rescue] E420R...

Earl D. Baugh Jr. earl at baugh.org
Thu Nov 3 21:57:19 CST 2005

I've got a E420R that I've been slowly working on....it's been a bit
since I've had any time to
tinker with it, but work and wife getting laid off (which was ok, she
survived like 17 layoffs at AT&T
and was happy to finally get a package...nice severance, and we've
not had to touch it yet)
has kept me busy.

Anyway, to the question/problem.   It does the initial power on
ok.  And with the video card
I got from Bill, I now can see it thru the Lightwave KVM switch.  All
very nifty.   I can probe
the SCSI bus, and get back info on the two drives, and the DVD (or
CD...have one of both
to play with).   Initializes memory fine.

A"boot cdrom"  yields a hung system.  No lights on the drive, no
nothing.  No activity.
Can't even stop-A.  Have to power cycle to get it to restart.

So, I did a test-all from the prom monitor.

The results were:

(video test, funky pattern, then RGB stripes)

Testing /pci at 1f, 4000/scsi at 3,1
No targets found.
Selftest failed.  Return code = -1.
Testing /pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 3
Testing /pci at 1f,4000/network at 1,1
Internal loopback test -- succeeded.
Testing /pci at 1f,4000/ebus at 1/fdthre at 14,3023f0
Testing floppy disk system. A formatted disk should be in the drive.
Recalibrate failed.  The floppy drive is either missing,
improperly connected, or defective
Selftest failed.  Return code = -1

I'm not sure about this first test, is that a problem?   I can do a probe-scsi
and get report from the two drives and DVD or CD just fine.

Any suggestions?  The drives show up as Target 0, Unit 0 Target 1,
Unit 0, (both Segate ST336605LSUN36G drives) and Target 6 Unit 0 ( TOSHIBA DVD)

I'm not sure where to try next...could this be bad SCSI config?

Earl