[rescue] SGI Crimson, still no go

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Mon May 16 11:37:20 CDT 2005

On 12/1/04, Thomas Gallaway <rescue at port11.net> wrote:
> Francois Dion wrote:
> >I have a Crimson I've been trying to get up and running. I had set it
> >aside for the past few months. I had issues with the CDROM (or so I
> >tought). Well, I've since gotten a CDROM for the Challenge L. I tested
> >the Irix CDs on it and can boot so I know it works. I moved it from
> >the Challenge tray to the Crimson brackets. Put it on bus 0, id 4
> >(required on crimsons apparently). HD is on bus 1, id 1 (id 0 is the
> >crimson).
> >
> >Invariably, I get a file not found trying to boot -f
> >dksc(0,4,8)sash.IP17 (or variations). ls dksc(0,4,8) and dksc(0,4,7)
> >also gets an: ls file not found.
> >
> >I'm thinking I might have a termination error (altough hinv does show
> >both the cdrom and harddisk). Should the SCSI connectors at the bottom
> >be connected together or terminated or?
> >

> IIRC my crimson had 2 terminators there and later I hooked
> up an external cd-rom to it.

Following the success with my Sun Ultra 1, I figured it was time once
again to try to do something with the Crimson.

I now have tested the CDROM and media trying to  boot on both the
Crimson and the 4D R4400-150 VXGT (basically a 4D upgraded to a VGX
then to a 150 MHz w/VGXT according to the various labels in the back
and front).

Unfortunately, all I can get is:
>> boot -f dksc(0,4,8)sash.IP17
open(dksc(0,4,8)sash.IP17) failed, errno=2
Unable to load dksc(0,4,8)sash.IP17: file not found

I've tried pretty much everything I could think of. I've reseated
everything. I can get to the command prompt and see the hard disk and
cdrom with hinv. It just wont boot from the cdrom (that works fine
with Sun machines and my SGI Challenge L). As if something in the
environment was preventing even from going to the CDROM.

I think there's no way around this, the internal cdrom booting wont
work for whatever reason.

I need an external CDROM that is SGI compatible. Anybody has one they
want to part with?

Francois