[rescue] What is a hamstation 2 ?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue May 10 06:30:05 CDT 2005

>From: Wes Will <wwill at siu.edu>
>Date: Mon May 09 11:33:30 CDT 2005
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] What is a hamstation 2 ?

>AAMOF, at the precise time this was posted I was once again looking into
>trying to scavenge some cheap HF gear (I've always liked the Yaesu FT101
>series - and from the prices on ePay, so has everyone else) to get back
>into amateur radio a little more actively.

The FT-101 series radios are good, solid units and are the starting points for
new folks (that aren't seduced by 2 meters). Some folks that collect older
radios seem intent on snapping up the better examples of these radios...

> I bid on a 2m/70cm handy this
>morning (lost the bid, but I'm not in a hurry, I can hold out until the
>right price comes along), and am trying to find a mobile or base 70 cm rig
>I can afford....single band would do, dual would be nice, tri-band would be
>flipping awesome, but what I'll get is likely something very very cheap.

2m HTs are quite cheap these days, if you can live with a unit that is
actually larger than a pack of cigarettes, that is ;^)