[rescue] $35 50gig drives

Joost van de Griek jvdg at sparcpark.net
Fri May 6 04:40:00 CDT 2005

On 2005-05-04 22:09, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Wes Will wrote:
>> I keep sitting here, watching the goings on, chiming in once in awhile, and
>> it just smacked me in the face again, the strides we have taken in the
>> hardware world since I started mucking about in this stuff (since the IMSAI
>> and Altair 8800 days, burn marks on my mom's table from soldering together
>> processer and I/O boards for an S100 bus).
>
> Yeah, I have those perspective moments from time to time, too.

I think (or rather: hope) we all have them. My memories of computing don't
go as far back as Wes', but I do remember that time I got to sit at this
little beige box at a computer fair in 1984, wanting to see what that huge
crowd was all about.

It had this little box on a string attached that, when moved over the table,
drew pictures on the screen! Amazing, the things they can do with those
computers, huh?

A more recent perspective moment (great term) was a couple of months back
when I bought a decommissioned B&W PowerMac G3 to use as a server recently.
I remember discussing this powerhouse with my friend back when it was first
available back in 1999. It could hold three hard drives on the bottom, which
Steve Jobs touted on stage as, "if you make that three of IBM's new 30 GB
drives, you can have a total of 100 GB on internal storage."

100 GB, wow. In the words of Wes Will: who could ever fill that much
storage? I have over 200 GB of music, alone, now.

I guess what it does is teach us to not laugh so hard at yesterday's tech,
because our cutting-edge gear of today will be laughed at just as hard.

,xtG
.tsooJ
--
Save the trees - eat a beaver.