[rescue] Sun machines supporting half-height hard drives

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Wed May 4 23:52:49 CDT 2005

On May 3, 2005, at 5:57 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> And I've run every U1 I owned in that configuration, five of them
> or so.
> A HH drive fit fine in the lower bay, and a LP in the upper bay.  I
> realize that's not Sun-recommended or supported, but it worked for me,
> YMMV.
>
> By far the most ghetto Sun disk thing I ever did was when I needed
> a box
> "yesterday" at work one time to test a critical software upgrade.
> All I
> had was a pile of disks in Dell trays and an E250.  I put the E250
> on its
> side, pulled the disks out of their trays, and used packing-peanuts to
> keep them horzontal in the drive cage.
>
> The stuff you have to pull sometimes...

Well you did take a bit of risk... don't packing peanuts carry static
charge?

I did something similar with my Gateway NS8000 fileserver for over a
year. (maybe 2)  I'm too cheap to buy rails at $25 a pop (the
original unit was never configured to use the hot swap bays) ...
especially since I pulled the machine out of a dumpster in NYC.  I
just used cut up squares of cardboard and a wooden block in the
bottom to space the drives and hold them horizontal in the hot swap
bays.

Andrew