[rescue] $35 50gig drives

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Wed May 4 15:09:33 CDT 2005

Wes Will wrote:
> I keep sitting here, watching the goings on, chiming in once in awhile, and
> it just smacked me in the face again, the strides we have taken in the
> hardware world since I started mucking about in this stuff (since the IMSAI
> and Altair 8800 days, burn marks on my mom's table from soldering together
> processer and I/O boards for an S100 bus).

Yeah, I have those perspective moments from time to time, too.

I was just pondering the other day, for instance, that my CPU has more
RAM in its L1 cache than the mainframe computers I worked on in 1978
possessed in total, and that there's more memory on my graphics card
than it was possible to install in the new, bleeding-edge PC I built in
1993 or so, and that was once super-high resolution (1024x768, with a
full 8 bits of color, non-interlaced even) now feels poky and cramped
enough to make me wonder how I ever got any work done at such a crappy
low resolution.  Just can't display enough information on the screen at
once...

--
 Phil Stracchino
 phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net