[rescue] Sun machines supporting half-height hard drives

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue May 3 16:57:43 CDT 2005

On Tue, 3 May 2005, Joshua Boyd wrote:

>> U1 (one half-height drive, one low-profile in most cases, two low-
>> profiles in some), U10, U30, U60, E250, E450 (if you're willing to
>> sacrifice every other slot), and E3000.
>
> Every U1 I've seen looked like it would work with one HH + one LP drive,
> but one of the ones I had wouldn't.  You could stick a HH drive into it
> but it just wouldn't work.

And I've run every U1 I owned in that configuration, five of them or so.
A HH drive fit fine in the lower bay, and a LP in the upper bay.  I
realize that's not Sun-recommended or supported, but it worked for me,
YMMV.

By far the most ghetto Sun disk thing I ever did was when I needed a box
"yesterday" at work one time to test a critical software upgrade.  All I
had was a pile of disks in Dell trays and an E250.  I put the E250 on its
side, pulled the disks out of their trays, and used packing-peanuts to
keep them horzontal in the drive cage.

The stuff you have to pull sometimes...

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "It's alright for someone to sleep past noon every
Elgin, TX         (   once in a while.  That's what it means to be a