[rescue] The best 'rescue' workstation

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue May 3 10:10:34 CDT 2005

Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
>>Still, I have changed unfiltered cases to positive pressure and they
>>were visibly less dusty.  Perhaps it was other factors.
>

> Hm.  It'd be interesting to know what factors were at play.

Yep.

My current Lian-Li case has negative pressure, but seems to still pull
most of the air through the front filters.

Unfortunately you can't stop it from also pulling air through the drive
bays.

Getting positive pressure would require more powerful fans in front,
which I suppose I could make happen.  Might also cool better.  But,
since the case and fans are new, and the fans are good quality, I hate
to replace them.

There is a pair of 80mm fans in front, filtered, and they blow air over
the hard drives first (Lian-Li cases have a unique hard drive bay system
in the case bottom).  There is a single rear 80mm exit fan, and one in
the top of the case, both going out.

The theory behind the "blowhole" is that it removes heat trapped in the
top of the case.  I don't know if it is that great or not, but does
remove a lot of heat.

Even with vents over the PCI slots, most of the air seems to enter
through the front.

Supposedly the new BX PC motherboard layout is supposed to make it
easier to build cases with good airflow, and "cooling zones".