[rescue] Prices... Amazing

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun May 1 20:16:13 CDT 2005

On Sun, 1 May 2005, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

>> Once I get my SAN running, I'll probably have an E3000 I don't need
>> anymore.  That bastard puts out a singularly amazing amount of heat,
>> unlike (surprisingly) the E4000.  I'll blame it on the E3000's weird
>> airflow versus the E4000's not-NEBS-but-at-least-not-wholly-wacked-out
>> airflow.
>
> Does the E3000 just not use more watts and thus put out more BTUs?

I don't think the E3000 pulls all that much more power.  However, it is
designed to hold up to 10 or so internal disks, so the power supplies
probably do pull somewhat more, even with the disk cage mostly empty.
That said, it doesn't cool nearly as effectively as the E4000 because
the E3000 moves air like this (with a mostly-empty drive cage in the
front):

   +-----------+
< - - - - - - - >
   |    | |    |
   |           |
   |    | |    |
   |           |
   |    | |    |
   |           |
  - - - > < - - -
   +-----------+

   (I may have that upside-down)

Whereas the E4000 moves air like this:

   +----------------------+
  - - - - - - - - - - - - - >
   |                      |

They're both stellar machines, though.  After a clock card upgrade, CPU
card upgrades, and CPU upgrades (all to 100MHz) the E4000 should really
haul.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "It's alright for someone to sleep past noon every
Elgin, TX         (   once in a while.  That's what it means to be a