[rescue] The best 'rescue' workstation

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun May 1 14:26:23 CDT 2005

Sun, 01 May 2005 @ 13:29 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:

> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > Basically what you want is straight shot airflow, ideally speaking.
> >
> > If you can't get that, at least try to go front-back, and avoid too much
> > internal turbulence.
>
> Actually, I generally try to go back-to-front, because the back fan
> vents are generally further off the ground and further from foot traffic
> (and hence, in marginally cleaner air) than the front ones.

>From everything I've tested and read about, you want the power supply
to be exhaust, not intake.  As intake it sends heated air to the other
components.

I know Sun does this in the Aurora and other chassis, but they also
don't cool very well either.

I suppose a lot depends on the overall case design and the power supply.
Some power supplies seem to generate a lot of heat, and I think I rather
not feed heated air to the other components.

As far as intake height goes, that depends on the environment.  In most
home and office situations, it seems there won't be a difference.

IMHO, if intake height makes a difference, you need to find another
location for the machine.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["People should have access to the data which
you have about them.  There should be a process for them to challenge any