[rescue] The best 'rescue' workstation

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun May 1 13:36:43 CDT 2005

Thu, 28 Apr 2005 @ 16:03 -0400, Nadine said:

> On 4/28/05, Kevin <kevin at mpcf.com> wrote:
> > I almost never do this type of stuff.  It just reinforces bad behavior and
> > does not encourage them to pay any attention to you.  I would tell him to
> > think about how he could have avoided this issue while he is doing it all
> > over again next semester.
> >
> > I'm not picking on anyone here, but i think as a whole, IT/MIS people
> > coddle users much too much.
>
> I don't disagree with that, necessarily.  I'd say, yes, some
> users are coddled too much.  Wes's situation sounds like
> it bites big time.  But the reality of it is, without users, we're
> all out of jobs.

True, but that doesn't change the fact that most users *are* coddled too
much.

They don't want to learn anything, and yet they expect everything to
just work.

A computer is like any other machine: to use it properly you have to
learn how.

Dumbing things down does *NOT* fix anything.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The object of war is not to die for your
country but to make the other bastard die for his." -- General George S.