[rescue] Ultra 5/10 RAM redux

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Thu Mar 24 10:53:30 CST 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 18:34:14 +0200
Michael-John Turner <mj at turner.org.za> wrote:

> What's the cheapest RAM I can use in an Ultra 5? Can I use any 3.3V
> ECC EDO DIMMs or are there gotchas I should be aware of?
I use generic registered 3.3V ECC EDO DIMMs in my U5 and U10 taken from
PPC machines.

> In particular, I'm worried about the U5 possibly only seeing half the
> RAM on a DIMM, etc
IIRC there is something with 10 / 11 bit RAS / CAS / column mode.
I observed that some DIMMs are seen only with half the capacity.
Unfortunately I have no recipe to sort out such problematic DIMMs. It
depends on the capacity and organisation of the chips on the DIMMs. So
you will need some knowledge about the U5 / U10 memory controller and
data sheets of the RAM chips in question to sort things out.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen