[rescue] Ultra 5/10 RAM redux

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Thu Mar 24 10:41:44 CST 2005

> What's the cheapest RAM I can use in an Ultra 5? Can I use any 3.3V ECC EDO
> DIMMs or are there gotchas I should be aware of? In particular, I'm worried
> about the U5 possibly only seeing half the RAM on a DIMM, etc (should I
> check the chip count)? A pair of Compaq ECC EDO 128M DIMMs can be had for
> $24.95 BIN on ePay (and 4x128M for $48 BIN), which is a tad bit cheaper
> than buying Sun branded U5/10 RAM.

1. U5 only takes low-profile dimms. 256M ones are usualy higher and fit
in U10 only. You can take the floppy driver out of U5 to fit the larger
dimms in.

2. Yes, there are problems with recognizing only half of some Compaq
dimms. I bought 2x256M Compaq dimms (part number unfortunately
forgotten) and U5 only recognized 2x128M (only half) so I sold them
again. I don't know the exact specs of what U5/U10 need.

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)