[rescue] Q: non-Solaris OS on Sun Blade 100?

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 21:29:30 CST 2005

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 00:54:28 +0100, Jochen Kunz <jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 18:29:35 -0500
> velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Has anyone successfully installed any OS other than Solaris on a
> > Sun Blade 100?
> http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/sparc64/
> Supported System Models
> [...]
> Blade 100 and 150
>
> I recommend NetBSD-current as it has some important bug fixes compared
> to 2.0.

Thus far I've tried FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and just to make sure it was not a bug
across the BSD flavors, Gentoo.  In all cases, the NIC fails in some way.

On FreeBSD, it was the gem0 timeout, on OpenBSD, I got a kernel panic
when I tried to fetch sets, and under Gentoo, I got TX MAC xmit underrun.

Recently, I had to have the network guys lock my port to 100/Full, because
under Solaris 9, it would auto-neg to 10/Half.  So, I'm thinking I have a bad
NIC.

I suppose I should go to the OK prompt and try running diags...

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.  Oh, and BTW, installing a base
OpenBSD...wow, that's fast.

=Nadine=