[rescue] OT: Network Blinkenlights

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Mar 8 20:55:09 CST 2005

Mon, 07 Mar 2005 @ 15:51 -0800, Isaac said:

> I agree that the arbitrary, constant rate flashing of activity lights is
> annoying. However, there's a reasonable argument to be made that
> flash-once-per-frame behavior leaks too much information about network
> traffic to potential attackers capable of observing and analyzing
> network activity based on blinkenlights.

I really don't think that cheap-as-possible networking units sold mostly
in home and office outlets are being changed for security reasons.

More likely it is cheaper or worse, a matter of style.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["There is no such thing as security.  Life
is either bold adventure, or it is nothing -- Helen Keller"]