[rescue] what are these?

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at mail.zill.net
Sun Mar 6 01:45:21 CST 2005

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 12:12:01AM -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 06:19:03PM -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> > digital rackmount item RA81
> >
> > Data General MV1400
> >
> > are either of them something interesting to those on the list?
>
> Yes.  Where are they located?
>
> -- Pat

They are near Lancaster, PA.

Full story:

Yesterday I was elected to the board of directors of a small
non-profit that does computer recycling.  They accept old computers
and refurbish them, then give them away to people who can use them.

99% of what they get in is old PCs plus some Macs, usually from
schools (I saw a bunch of Molar Macs, plus more usual ones like LC
575s, in the back).  However, they do get in other stuff, and they
have no idea what it is, which of course, I usually do have some idea
of what it is.

What is broken, too old, or they don't recognize, gets taken apart and
scrapped for cash, e.g. several hundred pounds of old PC motherboards
can be turned into a few hundred dollars.

I will be helping them get their act together as they go the full
501c3 route, and also trying to see if more money can be gotten from
what they already get in.  Obviously getting a few bucks for the stuff
they don't recognize, and saving neat computer stuff from being
unnecessarily scrapped, is part of that.

Cordially

Patrick