[rescue] 36G SCA drives still looking

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Sat Mar 5 16:56:32 CST 2005

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Fri, 04 Mar 2005 @ 11:39 -0800, Phil Stracchino said:
>>Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>>>In fact, I don't think RAID 0 is ever worth the risk, unless it is for
>>>something where only speed matters.
>>
>>I use RAID0 on minbar's 711 pack.  But all that's stored on it is source
>>code that I can always download again in the worst case, MP3s that I can
>>always rip again in the worst case, little of the data ever changes, and
>>it's all backed up on tape anyway.
>
> Well, that's a fine example of what I mean: its data that you can afford
> to lose.

Exactly.  :)  That was my point.

> Is that a Sun 711?  I would like to find one of those for a good price.
>
> If you get the one that holds 6 drive, can it handle the 1.6 inch high
> drives?

Yes, a 6-drive 711 uses the "lower slots" of each pair in a 12-drive
711, so to speak, so there should be room for 1.6" drives.

Now you've got me pondering pulling all the 9G Fujitsus out of my 711
and replacing them with cheap 1.6" 50GB Barracudas.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
  phil.stracchino at ceva-dsp.com