[rescue] Sprite OS trouble.

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Mar 4 12:22:13 CST 2005

Mon, 28 Feb 2005 @ 22:32 +0000, Mike Meredith said:

> I may be totally wrong, but I don't think so. From my recollection of
> the manual, whilst Plan9 was very network aware it didn't do clustering
> much less present multiple machines as single large machine.

You are at least partially wrong.

The idea of Plan 9 is to be more UNIX than UNIX.  It's almost like a
purification, and more building blocks for implementing higher level
ideas, of which clustering is one.

I think the idea is to present building blocks rather than complete
implementations.  The UNIX Way and all that.

There are grids and clusters using Plan 9, and you can google for more
information.

For example:

    http://www.9grid.net/
    http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~mirtchov/p9/cluster/

I would think that Plan 9 could be excellent for numeric, database, WWW,
and file serving clusters.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["An Irishman is never drunk as long as he
can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth."]