[rescue] sun ultra 5s - trade for memory??

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Thu Mar 3 12:04:40 CST 2005

Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 11:16:57 -0000
> "Rox" <rox at sunmuseum.org> wrote:
>

>>If you are prepared to take a needle file and enlarge the keyway slot
>>to make it fit,
>
> Why not just slam the DIMMs into the machine with a sledge hammer?
> Sorry, I don't wane be offensive. But your sugestion is quite rude.
>
> The key slots on the DIMMs are there to encode different DIMM types.
> E.g. supply voltage, registered / buffered vs. unregistered, RAM type
> (FPM / EDO, SDRAM, ...). There are JEDEC standards for the key slot
> encodings. So it has a purpose if the DIMMs don't fit because the key
> slots don't match. The purpose is to prevent loosage of the magic blue
> smoke.

Jochen,
I don't think he was talking about filing new slots to make electrically
incompatible DIMMs physically fit.  I read it as "These DIMMs will work
fine, but tend to have tolerance problems on the key slots."  I've run
into similar problems myself -- I had an EISA video card once that
physically would not fit into an EISA slot on a particular PC server
motherboard because the card-edge connector was about 1mm oversize.  I
looked to see where the contacts lined up, very carefully filed about
0.25mm from one end and about 0.75mm from the other, and it fit perfectly.

--
 Phil Stracchino
 phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
 phil.stracchino at ceva-dsp.com