[rescue] Sprite OS trouble.

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Tue Mar 1 02:12:06 CST 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Jochen Kunz wrote:
> > [1] http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/Research/Projects/sprite/
> > A mixed architecture, distributed single system image OS capable of
> > process migration that presented the cluster to a user as a single,
> > large multiprocessor machine. Pmake and LFS (Log-Structured File System)
> > originate from Sprite.
>
> Conceptually similar to Plan9...?

To be fair, Plan9/Inferno sort of came after sprite, since Sprite started
out  in the mid 80s... I do not think anyone has touched Sprite in more
than a decade but I could be wrong. Actually this project sort of spawn
the NOW (which sort of led to the current cheapo switched clusters for
high performance stuff) the RAID and other neat distributed computing
projects in Berkeley. Plan9/Inferno should be far more supported and up to
date than Sprite, I dunno if Plan9 has a strong focus on dynamic process
migration but I could be wrong.