[rescue] hard drives for sparc10?

Mike Parson mparson at bl.org
Thu Jan 20 10:42:07 CST 2005

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 07:43:47AM -0500, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 06:16, Peter Corlett wrote:
>> Patrick Finnegan  <pat at computer-refuge.org>wrote:

>> I note that despite the "unreliable2 nature of IDE disks, they're

Not on topic, but was just curious/entertained at seeing the 2 where a
double quote should be, flashback to my C=64 days, what keyboard layout
(other than my old C= 8-bits) would have the " over the 2?

>> virtually all still going strong after many years, with the notable
>> exception of Maxtor whose drives have rather less than stellar
>> performance and reliability (at least with the 30GB, 60GB and 80GB
>> units I've used.) I wonder if Maxtor's SCSI drives also suck...

> Maxtor SCSI drives from recent time are Quantum drives (Maxtor bought
> Quantum)... and in my experience Quantum drives don't suck (at least
> not the models I've used in the last 10? years)....

Quantum Fireball drives were on a short list of cruddy SCSI drives.
Standalone, they were OK, but they didn't support/honor reselection,
which made multiple SCSI devices on the same chain very painful.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org