[rescue] Mac prices

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 09:10:58 CST 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 23:37:20 -0600, Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 12:38:23AM -0500, Eric Webb wrote:
> > Seems like a decent basic box.  Thing that scares me is the drive.  Given the
> > physical space that they have to work with, would you expect more than a 2.5"
> > HD?  Or do you think I'm overly worried about disk speed?
>
> I think its basically an ibook-in-a-box.

I would agree.  From the internal shot on the Apple site,
I'd say it's probably a full-size IDE drive, but I'm guessing
as it's not really close enough/at the right angle to tell
for sure.

You could always slap an external firewire on there for
swap, which would help with the speed.  Though, I have
to say, I was concerned about my PB in regards to
swap since it only has 512MB RAM, but 10.3 performance
seems a lot better overall than 10.2.

I am likely going to get a mini for my mom-in-law's first
computer, and maybe as a "switch" box for the hubby to
wean him off the PC game box.

It's just too bad you can't shoe-horn in another network
adaptor so as to turn this into a nice quiet firewall.
Anyone know if an USB->ethernet adaptor will work on
PPC OpenBSD?

=Nadine=