[rescue] RE: SGI vs. Sun

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Thu Jan 13 16:22:53 CST 2005

 Joshua Boyd writes ...
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 01:29:33PM -0800, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> > I think of the I^2 as a desktop with server capabilities,
> > and the SS20 as a
> > server with desktop capabilities.  In those days, if you
> > wanted SMP and
> > major expandibility from SGI, I think the next step up from
> > an I^2 was a
> > Challenge L or Onyx.  That's a big step.
>
> But a fun one I'd imagine.

I certainly enjoy my Tandem-badged, stylishly-all-black Challenge L.  It has
_lots_ of expandibility, far beyond anything I expect to need.  Subject to
OS limitations, you could have 8 CPUs and 4 GM RAM (or maybe 12 CPU and 2 GB
RAM), and more SCSI than you could afford to run.  I think you can put an
IO4 board in each of the 5 or 6 VME slots, and each IO4 can handle 5 SCSI
chains (FW/HVD or F/SE) ... so, maybe 25 SCSI chains of 15 drives each.
Something like that.  Of course, the Onyx version uses some of those slots
for video.

The bigger XL units are even more expandible.

> I really hope I can still find those bad boys once I get a home to put
> them in.

I expect they will be around.

Pick a spot in a cool climate with cheap electricity, and just let your Rack
Onyx heat the house.

-Shel