[rescue] RE: SGI vs. Sun

sammy ominsky s at avoidant.org
Thu Jan 13 16:20:03 CST 2005

On Jan 13, 2005, at 16:29, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> Especially since you can put 1 GB of 'em in an R10K I^2.  I've got 768
> MB in
> mine.

Know where I can get some cheap?  I don't have nearly enough RAM in
mine.

> I think of the I^2 as a desktop with server capabilities, and the SS20
> as a
> server with desktop capabilities.

Heh, I had an SS20 with 4x SM512 (dual SM51 modules) as my main desktop
for a long time.  Also had the auxiliary video board, 2x 8MB VSIMMS,
and another framebuffer for a three-headed desktop, though
unfortunately I couldn't do xinerama because of the one wimpy one.  It
kicked soooo much ass even so.  Even after I stopped using it as a
desktop, it was my fileserver until last year's Great Purge.

In the purge I passed it along to another list member, who I hope is
still using it.  If not, i want it back.

---sambo